The Saint John of San Francisco Orthodox Academy is a rigorous academic institution which is committed to ensuring a strong and balanced Orthodox community life. Therefore, new student applications involve several important steps to determine whether our program is a good match for each individual applicant. Please note that applications are accepted on a rolling admissions basis.
Notice of nondiscriminatory policy: St. John's Academy admits students of any race, color, national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the academy. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, admission policies, scholarship and loan programs, and athletic and other academy-administered programs.
The Academy provides a unique environment in which the full heritage of the Orthodox Church is combined with an outstanding academic program, fully accredited to the longest possible tenure. It seeks not only to provide an education that exceeds national and state standards in core and extra subjects, but to do so in an environment focused on the growth of the whole person into the living tradition of the Church. Our aim is to produce graduates who are loving, pious, dedicated to Church and family, and educated to a standard that provides them with the potential to follow whatever course God may call them toward later in life. READ MORE
Scheduling a visit
When you're ready, simply contact us to make an appointment for a school campus visit: (415) 221-3484 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Application form & fee. Complete and sign the electronic application form (single parents/guardians choose this form) with the $100.00 non-refundable application fee. The application fee covers necessary admission administration costs only and will not be applied to registration or tuition upon acceptance of the student (for details on tuition and fees, please click here). Please note that we are unable to begin processing any application until this fee has been received in full.
- Previous school transcripts. If the candidate is applying for grades 2-12, transcripts from all prior schools are required, and must be submitted either with the application form, or shortly thereafter (further processing of the application / consideration for entry will not be possible until these transcripts are in hand). Please note that under normal circumstances you should arrange for your current school to send these transcripts directly to our school office; otherwise please provide official copies bearing the school seal.
- Entry examinations. In order to determine whether new applicants will be a good fit for St. John's academic program, and at what grade level, candidates for admission must be evaluated by written and oral examination, to be scheduled with the school office upon the return of the application documents. The written examinations are normally in English and mathematics, though they may include other subjects as is deemed appropriate.
- Family interview. An informal family interview will be held at the home of the student upon the passing of the written evaluation. This interview is an opportunity to discuss the Academy's educational philosophy in more detail, explore the child's and family's spiritual life, address our aims on school-family interaction and balance, and answer any questions.
- Decision. The admission decision is based on personal interview, evaluation results and past achievement, and is reported to the family within a few days of the interview.
St. John's Academy offers excellent value-for-money given that its tuition rates are among the lowest in the Bay Area. Nonetheless, ensuring that you are able to pay tuition and fees is an important consideration in application. Please look carefully at our Tuitions Schedule prior to application, to determine whether you are able to meet the costs associated with private schooling. Scholarships are available.